ARC REVIEW: Ward D by Freida McFadden

 



Ward D

By Freida McFadden
Reviewed by Jessica Colleran

If you have been keeping up on my reviews, then you know Freida McFadden is my favorite author when it comes to thrillers! Her books are filled with twists and turns, and often times I never know how the story is going to end until the last few pages. I am typically left with my mouth hanging open as I read the last page. Last week I was lucky enough to be approved for an ARC copy of Freida's newest book, Ward D, available on Amazon starting May 8, 2023. I would like to thank Freida McFadden and NetGalley for this opportunity to review this stellar book! The story all takes place within a twelve-hour time period which I thought was really neat. Certain chapters did go back into the main character's past which helped to break up and explain what was going on in the present. I am a total sucker for a book that takes place in a psychiatric hospital. I find this setting totally fascinating, so I knew this book was going to grab me right away!

Summary

Amy Brenner is a medical student tasked with a twelve-hour shift on Ward D, the hospital's in-patient psychiatric unit. Something in Amy's past is haunting her and the thought of spending an entire night locked in Ward D has her terrified. Nevertheless, she shows up for her shift prepared for the worst. Her situation is made even more dire by the fact that she has to spend the entire night with her fellow classmate and recent ex-boyfriend, Cam. Little does everyone know that Amy has been to Ward D before and she thought she would never have to set foot there again. Her best friend, Jade, was a patient of Ward D when Amy was a teenager. Amy hasn't spoken to Jade in years, but surely there is no way Jade would be back in Ward D again, right? Locked in and terrified, Amy is determined to get through this shift as quickly as possible, but the patients of Ward D have other plans........

What I Liked/Didn't Like

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I plowed through every page in just a few days and loved every second of it. The characters are interesting and had me clamoring to find out about their pasts. The patients of Ward D added an unsettling element to the story especially considering they are all locked up in a psychiatric ward for their own unique reasons. Amy spends a lot of time trying to get to know several of the patients and the reason for their admittance to Ward D which I thought was very interesting. I have not one complaint about this book. It grabbed me from the first page and didn't let me go until the last sentence. There is a reason Frieda McFadden is my favorite author in the thriller genre. She has the amazing talent to come up with the most unique story lines, and the craziest twists and turns!

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I cannot recommend this book enough! If you are a fan of thrillers that take place in a unique setting, stories that keep you guessing, and characters where you are never sure who the "bad guy" is then you need to exit this review ASAP and order Ward D on Amazon! Once you discover Freida McFadden's books, they will make other thrillers pale in comparison. Some of her other novels that I've read are: The Housemaid, The Housemaid's Secret, Never Lie, and The Locked Door. I guess the only other thing I can say is: EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ FREIDA MCFADDEN'S BOOKS!!!!!!!!



Comments