ARC REVIEW: The Birthday Girl (Mallory Dawson #1) by Sarah Ward

 


The Birthday Girl
by Sarah Ward
Publish Date: April 6, 2023
303 pages

Reviewed by Valerie Palmer

I chose to read this book because I received an advanced reader copy (ARC) from NetGalley! I have a weak spot for thrillers and thought it sounded intriguing with the remote location and wanted to try a new-to-me author. I have learned that this is the first novel in a series regarding the main character who is a former police detective. This book will be released to the public on April 6, 2023! If you are a fan of Lisa Jewell, Megan Miranda, or Gilly Macmillan, you will definitely enjoy this book. 

Summary
This book takes place on Eldey island, which is an island full of deadly secrets. The old cloister is filled with guests from all areas of life. Mona, who is an artist and paints in her room. Beth, who is a stressed-out mother and wanted a weekend away with her family. Charlotte, who is an unhappy stepmother who wanted a romantic getaway with her inattentive husband. There are several others on this island that are suspect. One of these people is serial killer and has poisoned four of her friends at her eleventh birthday party. All of them seem to fit the profile, but who will risk it all to kill again? 

What I Liked
This story line uses a multiple POV structure, and I believe that some characters are stronger than others. My favorite is of course Mallory, who is the main character telling the story and seems to be the most trustworthy. The other characters all seem suspicious and as I read this I felt as if I was working with Mallory to uncover the truth. I did not feel like I knew who the killer was at any given time. I am a sucker for books that keep me guessing and want to keep reading. I also loved that they had basically been cut off from the mainland because of the storm adding intensity of the story. I liked how the creepy atmosphere was depicted and how awkward Alex was portrayed. I felt like I could not trust any of the characters. 

What I Didn't Like
Initially having the multiple POV and trying to remember who people were throughout the book was a bit difficult. I felt that the story line took a bit too long to get to the cliffhanger. I felt that the story was a bit repetitive and that the ending was a bit lackluster for me.

Rating⭐⭐⭐.5
I rated this book 3 stars on Goodreads. I think it is worth the read if you are into remote locations and mystery. But the overall ending made me give it a lower rating. 

Comments