The Surrogate Mother by Freida McFadden


The Surrogate Mother

by Freida McFadden

Reviewed by Valerie Palmer

I picked up this book for a couple reasons. One, I was going to buddy read it with my mom and my sister, but also, I have been in a bit of a reading slump. Freida NEVER has disappointed me and gets me out of my slumps pretty quickly. I am excited she has a new book coming out August 29, 2023 called The Coworker which is available for pre-order. I want to binge read all of her books, but I need to savor them for my reading slumps, so I don't burn through them all quickly and be disappointed I don't have any left! I am a HUGE Freida fan and have recommended her to several others as well.

Summary
Abby wants a baby more than anything.

But after years of failed infertility treatments and adoptions that have fallen through, it seems like motherhood is not in her future. That is, until her personal assistant Monica makes a generous offer that will make all of Abby's dreams come true.

Or all of her nightmares.

Because it turns out Monica isn't who she says she is. The woman now carrying Abby's child has dark, twisted secrets.

And she will stop at nothing to get what she wants.

What I Liked
Freida draws me in from the very first page. I do not know how she does it, but she is one of my favorite authors. This is by far one of my favorites of her books. The bigger twists and turns did not happen until about three-fourths of the way through, but my jaw dropped. Without giving anything away, I did NOT see those twists coming. I am completely in love with her writing style and how quickly they move. I could not stand Monica or Sam during certain portions. A book that makes me feel that strong of emotions means it is a well written novel. The pain Abby felt when she wanted to have a child so badly, as a mom, I could sympathize with her and see why she was willing to do anything to make that dream come true. I liked the character development of Monica and you see her true colors the further you read. The themes of this book are complications of pregnancy as well as the consequences of surrogacy. If you have faced infertility issues this may be a trigger to you, or you may sympathize with Abby. 

What I Didn't Like
The only negative thing I can say about this book is that it is not super realistic. But that did not stop me from having my nose buried in this book! 

Rating⭐⭐⭐⭐

I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads, because Freida never disappoints me. I have given five stars to every book I have read by her. This book has not received a lot of hype on BookTok, but I believe it should! It kept me fully engaged and I wanted to know what was happening next throughout the book. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a good thriller.

Comments