The Dream Job by Kiersten Modglin

 

The Dream Job

by Kiersten Modglin

Reviewed by Valerie Palmer

I picked up this book because I had read The Arrangement series by Kiersten Modglin recently and I really enjoyed it. Kiersten is a newer author for me, and I wanted to read more by her. I am also in the mood for thrillers lately! I picked it up on Pango not knowing much about it and bought it merely based on the description. If you enjoy books by Freida McFadden, you will most likely enjoy this author. 

Summary
Autumn Sanderson goes by Lark now.
No one in her new life can know who she was.
No one from her old life can know where she is now.

Drowning in debt, Lark is desperate to land a job—any job. When she finds herself at an 
interview for a mysterious company offering her an exorbitant salary, she jumps at the chance.

But things aren’t quite what they seem...

She soon learns of the company’s peculiar hiring process. 
Locked in a luxury cabin with five strangers who go only by their code names, Lark begins to question exactly what it is she signed up for. The company, riddled with secrets and led by a cryptic boss known only as Mr. X, has strange rules and even stranger challenges for their candidates. After each day’s competition, the candidates gather around the dinner table to eat, drink, and spill their darkest secrets.

When Lark sees something she shouldn’t, she begins to ask questions, but soon gets a warning to stop. It’s obvious she’s in danger, but why? What does the company want? How much can she trust the others in the house?

Trapped in the remote house with no technology allowed, Lark realizes she must take drastic measures to find out the truth.

The job of her dreams may cost her life...

What I Liked
I love Kiersten's writing style. Her books are so easy to read, and I gobble them up as fast as I do Freida McFadden books. This book has a huge moral dilemma, what would it take for you to sell your soul to the devil? Autumn was completely desperate for money so that she could help her mom get the right treatment for cancer. The job she was interviewing for would alleviate all her financial stress. As I read the book, I asked myself how desperate I would be and how far I would have made it through the interview process. I'm not sure I would have made it through the week-long interview knowing I cannot have contact with the outside world or my family. 

What I Didn't Like
I felt the ending was a bit rushed for me. You do not meet Mr. X until the end. You want to know more, but then the book is finished. Other than that, I do not really have any negative things to say about this book. 

Rating⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads since you cannot do half stars. The only thing holding it back from five stars was the rushed ending. 

Comments