The Confidence of Wildflowers by Micalea Smeltzer



The Confidence of Wildflowers
by Micalea Smeltzer

Reviewed by Valerie Palmer

I have seen this book on #Booktok, so I figured I should see what the hype is all about with this one. I have already put book two, "The Resurrection of Wildflowers", on hold at the library as I am anxiously awaiting to find out what happens next with Thayer and Salem. There is also a third book called, "The Endurance of Wildflowers" which will be released on October 17, 2023. Smeltzer is a new author for me, and I will be continuing the series to find out how things end between the two of them.

Summary

My future is a big ‘what if’ at the moment and I’m fine with that.
For the most part.
When Thayer Holmes moves in next door, the grumpy landscaper both fascinates and amuses me.
When he asks me to nanny his kid, it’s a great way to make some extra money.
It’s impossible not to fall in love with Thayer and his adorable son.
There’s a big problem though.
I’m eighteen. He’s thirty-one.
Falling for someone almost fifteen years older than me wasn’t part of my plans, but sometimes things happen when you least expect them.

What I Liked
This story is about how two people brought out the best in one another and decided to fight for it. It seems like they are an unlikely pair, but once they realize their feelings it becomes clear they are falling in love. I never thought I would be rooting for a couple who are thirteen years apart, she is 18 and he is 31. Thayer changes throughout the book, at first, he is crabby and does not want anything to do with other people. He wants to be left alone to live his life as he is divorced and an overall unhappy man. As his feelings develop for Salem, he becomes a softer and more caring person. He goes out of his way to do things for Salem and that is how every woman wants to be treated. Thayer becomes the ideal boyfriend, and Salem had to choose between Caleb and Thayer. 

I had a hard time with her having to choose between Caleb and Thayer. I liked Caleb a lot and felt he treated Salem with such kindness. Especially later in the book when she finds out that her mom is sick. She had a lot to endure in her short 18 years of life, but she comes through it all with her head held high and makes the best of it while attending therapy to better herself.

I liked how easy this book was to read. I got through it a lot faster than I anticipated considering the copy I had was 420 pages. I like books that have shorter chapters as I will not stop reading in the middle of one. 😂

What I Didn't Like
This book is definitely what I would consider a slow burn. Nothing really happened between Thayer and Salem until halfway through the book. As much as I loved the anticipation, this one took a bit too long to build. Once things started happening, it all happened rather quickly. Seemed a bit unrealistic with the timing of everything. I am not sure what the significance of Salem's mom being sick is or if it was necessary to add that component into this story. 

I was not a big fan of Salem's character, not having any real goals for her life. She decided not to attend college, which college isn't for everyone, but she was not pursuing anything besides making candles and working at her mom's store. I was surprised her mom didn't push her to become more. 

Rating⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

I gave this book four stars on Goodreads as I cannot give half stars. The reason it was given 4.5 versus 5 is because of the slow-burn and build that took a bit too long for my liking. This book kept my attention and made me want to read more about what happened between Thayer and Salem even though it seems a bit unbelievable. I cannot wait until my hold on book two from the library comes in so I can continue the story. The ending of book one was a bit of a cliffhanger!

Comments