The Coworker by Freida McFadden

The Coworker

by Freida McFadden

Reviewed by Valerie Palmer

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley. I wanted to read it as soon as possible since it is a new release (August 29, 2023) by Queen Freida. I have loved every book I have read by this author. She is a phenomenal author and on release day for this one, she let us know that she has another book coming out called, The Teacher, February 6, 2024. 

If you like turtles, you may relate to Dawn in this book. 😂 Stay tuned as we will be recording a podcast to discuss The Coworker on September 9, 2023 and will be available to stream soon.

Summary

Two women. An office filled with secrets. One terrible crime that can't be taken back.

Dawn Schiff is strange.

At least, everyone thinks so at Vixed, the nutritional supplement company where Dawn works as an accountant. She never says the right thing. She has no friends. And she is always at her desk at precisely 8:45 a.m.

So when Dawn doesn't show up to the office one morning, her coworker Natalie Farrell―beautiful, popular, top sales rep five years running―is surprised. Then she receives an unsettling, anonymous phone call that changes everything…

It turns out Dawn wasn't just an awkward outsider―she was being targeted by someone close. And now Natalie is irrevocably tied to Dawn as she finds herself caught in a twisted game of cat and mouse that leaves her wondering: who's the real victim?

But one thing is incredibly clear: somebody hated Dawn Schiff. Enough to kill.

What I Liked
Whatever I read by Freida, it grabs my attention immediately. That is one of the things I love about her books. This book is a well-written one because of the emotions I felt throughout it. In the beginning, I liked Natalie as she seemed confident and passionate about her career. Dawn seemed a bit off and very much an introvert. I felt that she may have been on the autism spectrum or perhaps suffered from OCD based on her behavior. There were moments where I liked Natalie and Dawn but felt bad for them considering the circumstances. There were other points where I found them extremely annoying and felt they deserved what was coming to them. All of the books I've read by this author seem to do that to me. 

I loved the portrayal of working in an office environment and the drama that comes with it because that is something a lot of people can relate to in society. There always seems to be one person that is a bit different and does not fit in with the rest of the staff. In this case, which was Dawn who is completely obsessed with turtles. It also makes you think do you really know who you work with and spend so many hours with each day? 

What I Didn't Like
I thought that some of Natalie's behavior was childish, and she was a bully. I know that is the point of her character as it relates to the story, but I still had issues with some of her behavior.  The ending of this book was a bit lackluster for me because I guessed part of it. 

Rating⭐⭐⭐⭐

I gave this book four stars on Goodreads. The reason it did not receive five stars is because I guessed part of the twist. Normally, I think I know what will happen and am completely blindsided in the end. I was fully entranced by this book and highly recommend it.

Comments